Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveV

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2008
geektool

I've been looking for a Mac parallel to Samurize too. You can use Geektool scripts to replicate the effect somewhat by embedding the output of terminal commands on your desktop. If you make the background windows contiguous with the same tint you should get the semitransparent panel effect you're looking for.

Unfortunately geektool hasn't made the leopard jump, and I've seen some people blaming it for some fairly serious problems on these forums (I've had mine installed since Leopard came out and haven't had any problems yet). It would be nice if someone found an alternative that fully duplicates samurize's functionality and is stab;e on leopard.

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
I'm using GeekTool on Leopard here. It's running well so far.

Just a couple of minor bugs that I noticed:
1) Triggering Exposé and/or Spaces at the same time causes the GeekTool display to go missing. Trigger Exposé one more time to get it back.

2) In the GeekTool Pref pane, toggling enable/disable GeekTool quickly can corrupt it's preferences file :eek: Not too big a deal since "quickly" here means double-clicking the checkbox/spamming the checkbox with clicks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.