For Hifi Designers: ever thought of 70s vintage-looking 21st receivers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by FloydVivino, Jan 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I really like the looks of those Yammys. I seem to remember that Yamaha had a somewhat unique "house" sound back in the 70s, but I could be wrong. Is that still the case?

2. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

[​IMG] To me vintage silver faced receivers were the peak, but companies like Accuphase and Luxman continue the tradition. Just wish I could afford one:)

3. tomd

tomd Senior Member

great idea!

4. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I am actually happy with my Peachtree Amps (Nova150 and 500). I find the design very nice and clean. But I always liked a clean face. My favorite being my JVC A-X9.
    Nothing spaceship like about it. Only one led to tell it's even on. But yes, If you want the classic look, The Yamahas and Technics are very nice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

I haven't heard a Peachtree but their aesthetic speaks to me! Big fan of the wood surround look!

BayouTiger likes this.
  6. FloydVivino

FloydVivino Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's becoming the bi take away from me!

And how much this sexy beast has set you back or, better put, would set anyone here back?

7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I love how amazingly picky you are about this. :laugh:

gd0, Synthfreek and Big Blue like this.
  8. FloydVivino

POINT OF ORDER

Great suggestions so far.
    Aesthetics is a matter of taste of course.
    Some takeaways for me so far:
    1. Yamaha is close as we get to a vintage look - which is not very close, if you think "70s Pioneer SX-x50 or Sansui", i.e., no wood, no amber- or blue-lit dials analog dial - without breaking the bank (as @Big Blue said)
    2. Luxman and other brands are producing high-end equipment who get much closer but here we are deep into 4-digit territory
    3. There are some exquisite brands and models out there - ugly or pretty is a matter of taste - that produce analog-looking equipment (i.e., loads of round knobs, wood panels, some needles, and analog displays) but that are not 70s vintage-looking, IMHO
    4. ... therefore, my guess and by the comments I've seen here so far, there might be a market for that 70s vintage-look (as defined above), maybe not budget (it never was) but at least within the 3-digit ball-park
    Keep those suggestions coming!

9. FloydVivino

This is an audiophile forum. This is where pickiness was invented! :laugh:

10. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

I think the whole front panel on this may be a blue and silver sticker. You apply it with a steady hand after you open the unit and take it out of the box.

Manimal and Big Blue like this.
  11. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

This was my baby in the 80's.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  12. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

I think you nailed it on the cost of a modern high quality analog tuner. I think that's why we see really great classically styled integrated amps and power amplifiers from Yamaha, Luxman, Accuphase, etc., but don't really see any "vintage" looking modern receivers.

It also depends on how you define "vintage" looking. Back in the late 70s and early 80s, tuner manufacturers were experimenting with digital displays on tuners that still employed a knob driven tuning capacitor. Models such as the SAE Mark Six from 1971, complete with oscilloscope and nixie tube digital display:

[​IMG]

I have an Akai AT-V04 from 1980 that is also a hybrid design, similar to the Magnum Dynalab tuners from the mid-1980s:

[​IMG]

The light blue fluorescent display, combined with the red and green LEDs makes it a perfect transitional piece between my vintage Yamaha A-1000 integrated amp and more modern sliver faced gear with blue colored illumination:

[​IMG]

I recently picked up an Arcam Solo all-in-one (CD player/receiver) that is a modern design (2005), but also doesn't look entirely out of place in a system of silver components from the early 80s:

[​IMG]

I am building an external phono stage so I can run this with my Harman Kardon T60 turntable while I pull the A-1000 out for an overdo recap. Since this Arcam has preamp outputs, it's eventual home will be in my bedroom system where it will serve as a remote controlled preamp mated with my vintage Marantz Model 140 power amplifier:

[​IMG]

Duke Fame, gov, ranch 22b and 3 others like this.
  13. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I miss the simplicity of the old days. Nice receiver, turntable, cassette deck, speakers. DONE! Now I've got a closet full of gear I don't even use and a full equipment rack.

bever70 and Manimal like this.
  14. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

The AS series of Yamaha amps do have wood panels. And VUs. But word is theyre being discontinued to make way for a new range. Hopefully keeping the classic style.

Big Blue likes this.
  15. Razakoz

Razakoz Forum Resident

The Yamaha AS series is the way to go unless you wanna spend big money.

16. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

...which I am hoping means some great clearance prices, personally. Though that brings the risk of wondering if I would rather have bought the new one...

17. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I think instead of bringing out something that looks 70s, it would be better if companies just brought back their classic amp. Upgrade them a bit but essentially have the same look.

I am in Tokyo at the moment and happenes by the Citizen Watch flagship store and saw a 70s looking watch from Bulova. Citizen bought Bulova and has brought back their 1976 Computron watch. LED and all. They've added only minor features like dual time zone, seconds.

Anyway, the Duty Free price was right so I bought one. It looks strangely modern in a Stanly Kubrick Clockwork Orange / Knight Rider kind of way.

Those old Marantz Amps were sexy... the modern ones are about as exciting as buying a toaster. I know, I have one.

LitHum05, MCM_Fan and Big Blue like this.
  18. FloydVivino

gorgeous! shame they do them like this anymore. but.... god almighty... WHY?????

19. FloydVivino

Hopefully they become cheaper!

20. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

I have the AS1100 in black with dark brown side panels. As interested as I am in what the new yammy range look like, I have no upgrading desire. Im in love with this amp. I plan on keeping it at least until retirement (21 more years). Its pretty much end game for me. So if you can get one at clearance price, I say go for it.

Big Blue and russk like this.
  21. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Well, there's McIntosh in general, whose product design hasn't changed appreciably since the 1980's. They tweaked the way the buttons look, and the knobs are a bit different, but it's the same backlit green text on black glass, and blue meters.

Then there's the McIntosh C22 preamplifier, and MR87 tuner, currently as of June 2020 in production. I know, not technically a receiver, but I think it's in the same vein.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OK, so the tuner dial is really a digital readout, but c'mon, how many times have you wished for someone to put this on the front of any radio with a digital display?

beowulf likes this.
  22. russk

russk Forum Resident

Right there with you. I have an as2100 in silver with the piano black wood side panels. Picked it up after extensive audition of all the usual subjects in the 4K range. It wasn’t only the best looking, it was also one of the best sounding and best built amps in that range. I’ll be keeping it for the duration of its hopefully long lifespan.

It would take going to the Luxman 507ux ii to make a small but noticeable upgrade.

Eigenvector and Big Blue like this.
  23. Schwinnparamount

Schwinnparamount Forum Resident

Absolutely. My AS1100 is gorgeous and the sound it produces is gorgeous too. Not cheap by any stretch though.

24. Schwinnparamount

Schwinnparamount Forum Resident

Nah. It's a "natural"sound these days.

25. FloydVivino

That! It's embarrassing!

That would be it, right? Get a Pionner SX-750 and re-do it as you like but keep that front panel. I may be tech-challenged to understand the viability to do it at a marketeable prices but, I mean, we're currently getting vehicled technology to Mars, FFS!

Noted, and more and more attracted...

... but only if...

... as indeed, it is relatively cheap, but it is not cheap!

Now, off-topic: would the AS1100 or something like it it not be too much for my pair of Mission 731i shelf speakers (recommended wpc 25-75w and sens. 89db or 92db, can't remember)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.