Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I am putting a EAW pivot scope mount on a new build DG rifle in an unusal chambering. I also have a Rem 798 (basically a Zastava) 375 H&H. The scope for the new build is better than the one in the 375.

If I put the same style pivot mount on both rifles could I swap the scope from one to another (subject to zeroing on the second rifle)? I am wondering whether the scope attachment is interchangeable with different bases.

The idea is to have the 375 H&H as backup. If it gets called up I could continue with the better scope and swap it over, zero and be off. If the scope gets damaged I could take the good one and swap it to whichever rifle is being used.

Is this possible? Does anyone do it? Thanks.

If the spacing between rings were identical, as were the bases I could see this hypothetically working.

Are you finally building that 400 H&H?

If the spacing between rings were identical, as were the bases I could see this hypothetically working.

Are you finally building that 400 H&H?
Ah, right, the spacing. I didnt think about that.

I am down to cerakote and scope mounts. I make no promises, but I think it is finally getting done. I just bought two boxes of A-Frames in anticipation.

Ah, right, the spacing. I didnt think about that.

I am down to cerakote and scope mounts. I make no promises, but I think it is finally getting done. I just bought two boxes of A-Frames in anticipation.
What are you using for a donor?

Pivot mount? You mean like the Weaver Tip-Off? Or Leopold/Burris style?

I use low Warne QD rings on both my Springfield and Mauser. Same make rail on both guns but slots are slightly different. Still, I was able to find common ground when spacing rings on tubes so scopes could be swapped on a moment's notice if one malfunctioned. Chief purpose, however, was to access iron sights as needed.
20231119_114717.jpg

What are you using for a donor?
A Brno 602 that was a 375 H&H. The barrel is made by Douglas.

Pivot mount? You mean like the Weaver Tip-Off? Or Leopold/Burris style?

I use low Warne QD rings on both my Springfield and Mauser. Same make rail on both guns but slots are slightly different. Still, I was able to find common ground when spacing rings on tubes so scopes could be swapped on a moment's notice if one malfunctioned. Chief purpose, however, was to access iron sights as needed.
View attachment 577197

I have similar ones from Alaska Arms. I found the Zastava and Brno dovetail are not the same unfortunately. But, I have decided to go with this:

Attachments

• Pivot mounts • EAW.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 22

I have similar ones from Alaska Arms. I found the Zastava and Brno dovetail are not the same unfortunately. But, I have decided to go with this:

I’m not sure if you’re gaining anything by using a pivot mount over tally’s with the BRNO besides esthetics. Unless you need the offset front ring for proper scope positioning.

I see. Those are certainly complex mounting systems. I think you would be best advised to contact EAW. Their site claims scopes can be interchangeable but I suspect these are very pricey items so probably best to get it from them in writing. Good luck. Be interested to hear how you make out.

I'm thinking the scope might move over to the other gun but would require a lot of adjustment from more than just the turrets. So the "dovetails" are carved in integral bases or are you referring to the slots in the attached bases/rails you have on the guns now? I don't see any dovetails in receivers of either the Zastava or BRNO guns currently being produced. If it's a matter of slots being incompatible, it might be possible to have a new slot machined in the base/rail? The slots on my two rails were incompatible but just barely. I was able to adjust the rings spacing a bit and then both scopes were interchangeable. Of course, stocks and receivers are different so eye relief changes = scope doesn't acquire targets the same. Fortunately both rails were same height so that helped. Making scopes interchangeable from two different rifles was more complicated than I thought. :D

So the "dovetails" are carved in integral bases or are you referring to the slots in the attached bases/rails you have on the guns now?
You are correct, it is more a rail than a dovetail. Thinking this through does illuminate the challenges with this idea! The difference between the size of the actions will probably make this idea a non-starter.

You are correct, it is more a rail than a dovetail. Thinking this through does illuminate the challenges with this idea! The difference between the size of the actions will probably make this idea a non-starter.
I am trying to understand the purpose of doing this. Do you want to use the same scope on two different rifles? If so even if the spacing were exact, you would still have to sight in the rifle all over again whenever you moved the scope. It is theoretically possible you could record the difference in settings (clicks) for windage and elevation, but it all sounds like a lot of aggravation to me.

EAW is, however, a superb and very dependable mount for the rifle to which it is dedicated.

I am trying to understand the purpose of doing this. Do you want to use the same scope on two different rifles? If so even if the spacing were exact, you would still have to sight in the rifle all over again whenever you moved the scope. It is theoretically possible you could record the difference in settings (clicks) for windage and elevation, but it all sounds like a lot of aggravation to me.

EAW is, however, a superb and very dependable mount for the rifle to which it is dedicated.
You got the theory. I imagined it would allow me to easily swap the nicer scope onto the backup rifle if my ammo went astray. And, if the scope died I could likewise swap the scope off of the backup rifle onto my prefered one. After posting this brainstorm of an idea the utility of it soon faded from sight!

I will still have the EAW mount set up on the 400 H&H. It seems fitting.

You got the theory. I imagined it would allow me to easily swap the nicer scope onto the backup rifle if my ammo went astray. And, if the scope died I could likewise swap the scope off of the backup rifle onto my prefered one. After posting this brainstorm of an idea the utility of it soon faded from sight!

I will still have the EAW mount set up on the 400 H&H. It seems fitting.
There's actually a fair amount of play in the EAW rear base, as the design is to allow the scope to expand front to back without movement side to side. So, what you're asking is quite doable if the actions are both similar in length, but, like others have asked, I'm not sure of the practical utility. If your scenario of a scope failure were to occur, the best utility would be the ability to quickly remove the scope and use the express sights.
Looking forward to pics of the finished rifle!

I am trying to understand the purpose of doing this. Do you want to use the same scope on two different rifles?

I can't comment on the EAW, but I can comment a great deal on the Dentler system I have on my rifle.

As an aside, if no one is importing the Dentler system, I really need to start:

There are several reasons. The first is the European habit of storing the scope separate from the rifle. Not entirely sure how this started, but I do know with every German safe I have, the rifle didn't really fit in the safe when the scope was mounted.

Then there is the habit of using one scope on several rifles. This becomes more of an issue on rifles like the R8 or Merkel Helix, with interchangeable barrels.

Conversely, you have the opportunity to have several scopes on one rifle. For example, I use my 1-6X24 for driven hunts, but shift to the 2.5-10X56 for evening hunts in the hochsitz.

The Dentler system is well designed for this. The base goes on the rifle. A separate piece with rings goes on the scope. A small lever fastens the scope to the rifle. It will hold BZO.

If you have a second rifle (or barrel), use the Vario base. With this base, instead of adjusting zero on the scope, you adjust the base. Then, as you switch the scope between, you never adjust the settings on the scope. The bases hold their zero, and whichever rifle you put the scope on, you are set.

At first, I didn't trust the "hold the zero" thing. I figured I would have to adjust every now and then to keep zero. This lack of trust was misplaced. The system simply works.

I can't comment on the EAW, but I can comment a great deal on the Dentler system I have on my rifle.

There are several reasons. The first is the European habit of storing the scope separate from the rifle. Not entirely sure how this started, but I do know with every German safe I have, the rifle didn't really fit in the safe when the scope was mounted.

Then there is the habit of using one scope on several rifles. This becomes more of an issue on rifles like the R8 or Merkel Helix, with interchangeable barrels.

Conversely, you have the opportunity to have several scopes on one rifle. For example, I use my 1-6X24 for driven hunts, but shift to the 2.5-10X56 for evening hunts in the hochsitz.

The Dentler system is well designed for this. The base goes on the rifle. A separate piece with rings goes on the scope. A small lever fastens the scope to the rifle. It will hold BZO.

If you have a second rifle (or barrel), use the Vario base. With this base, instead of adjusting zero on the scope, you adjust the base. Then, as you switch the scope between, you never adjust the settings on the scope. The bases hold their zero, and whichever rifle you put the scope on, you are set.

At first, I didn't trust the "hold the zero" thing. I figured I would have to adjust every now and then to keep zero. This lack of trust was misplaced. The system simply works.

That looks like an excellent system for QD, as well as what Pheroze is looking to do. I've not seen it before. What kind of price tag for a set of rings and per base?

A neat system. I had a Sako that did not eject properly if the scope was mounted too low, so I am wondering if the base would impede ejection. After reading the website it says the Basis system is compatible with ZKK-602, so my fears seem to be unwarranted.

No pricing I noted, which is usually not a good sign lol

Looks like 110 euro for the basic mount, 389 for the Vario. That's the part that goes on the rifle.

Add 210 for the scope mount. Only 38,50 for each ring. Bit different, depending on your scope.

Looks like 110 euro for the basic mount, 389 for the Vario. That's the part that goes on the rifle.

Add 210 for the scope mount. Only 38,50 for each ring. Bit different, depending on your scope.

So 786 EU = $865 US. Ouch! As I recall I paid about $150 for my system of rail and two QD Warne rings. Holds zero perfectly and I could easily add an extra scope or bring the one on my Springfield over to Mauser (but would need to be rezeroed).

Is this possible? Does anyone do it?
At my place pivot mounts are very common, traditional.
People have their rifles for decades, with pivot mounts
Then modern age came, night visions.

So, they needed the system to change the scope for night vision, and then to put back the day scope for day hunt. And rifle had pivot mount basis.

Most common solution was, picatinny rail, with pivot mount attachments, to be fixed on same pivot basis. In that way their day scope is attached to pivot mounts, as usual, and night vision would be fixed on piccatiny, attached to pivot system

I am not suggesting this to you (to me this looks ugly, especially on classis rifles), but I am giving example that it is not uncommon.

So, yes, you can exchange the scopes on pivot mount. Just take care about spacing of the rings.
If you have two scopes for one rifle, you can exchange them and keep zero all the time.
EAW is high end brand, good choice.

So 786 EU = $865 US. Ouch! As I recall I paid about $150 for my system of rail and two QD Warne rings. Holds zero perfectly and I could easily add an extra scope or bring the one on my Springfield over to Mauser (but would need to be rezeroed).
Yes. Especially that part about "... would need to be rezeroed".

Yes. Especially that part about "... would need to be rezeroed".
To clarify: The scope on my Mauser does not have to be rezeroed when reattached to it. Only required when mixing scopes to different guns. Eye relief changes too (but not significantly).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chainsingh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
Africas leading outdoor and hunting filming company!
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg