Anybody up on KE-Jetronic management?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by griffo20022, May 6, 2008.

1. griffo20022

griffo20022 Active Member

Hey all, does anybody know there stuff with the oldskool KE-Jetronic fuel management systems? My dads Merc has decided it wants to stop working and we're pretty adament it's fuel related!

We've tried pretty much everything! We're still yet to test the fuel pressure. Fuel is getting as far as the fuel distributor but then isn't going from that to the injectors although it is going to the cold start injector.

One of my mates has said that the fuel distributors on these can be pretty sensitive and used to fail quite often back in the day.

Just wondering if anybody knew any little tricks or anything on these things, any info would be muchly appreciated!

The cars a 1990 Merc 190E (W201) 1.8 Ta' all! :thumbs:

2. DjKez

DjKez Active Member

You know the fuel distributor on these is vac operated? In other words, it only sends fuel when the engine draws air. There's a plate under the intake that pivots & opens the fuel dist.
    The cold start injector is electronic & will always have a supply.
    I've found a lot of these flood & unplugging the cold start can get you going. Also, make sure the pumps running when you crank it

3. griffo20022

The pumps definately running, you can hear it prime when you turn the key and also as your trying to start the car. Don't suppose you could elaborate on exactly where that plate is could you so we could go check it out?

Thanks for that advice dude, anything more would be greatly appreciated!

4. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

The big metal box where the fuel lines lead to, after the air filter.

Looks a lot like this, the flap is under the black bit...

fuel%20head.

I hate K-jet, pain in the arse.

5. DjKez

DjKez Active Member

As stav said. It'll be right next to the fuel distributor. Like an upside down see saw :)

6. griffo20022

Arrrrr that thing, yer I just know it as the big circley thing lol!

Anyway, I think we may have pinned it down to a fault fuel distributor, seems took it off and took it apart, cleaned it all out and built it back up and it's firing fuel out constantly now instead of minute amounts. Although one of the four injector feeds is still very slightly intermittent so I think were gonna try get another unit to try out and see how it goes, thanks for the info dudes!

7. DoriDave

DoriDave ~~Sore-Arse~~

Sometimes the plate can get a build up of crap on it, thus leaking air and not creating a vacuum, give it a spray of WD40 and give everything a good clean. Very little can go majorly wrong on the old K-Jet systems.

8. griffo20022

Yer well a few days back we did give it all a good clean with carb/injection cleaner etc. cleaned the pivot which activates the plunger underneath the fuel distributor and the spring on it seems alot more responsive now as before when you bobbed the plate down and let it spring up it lost tension towards the top, but now it comes up and seems to seal properly now.

Like I say, now with the innards of the fuel distributor cleaned out, again with carb/injection cleaner, it's firing out of 3 of the four injector feeds now, which previously it wasn't doing before, although the one of them still seems to be intermittent possibly losing fuel pressure through one of the seals from inside or something were not quite sure, although I think were gonna get another unit to try n test first :)

9. DoriDave

DoriDave ~~Sore-Arse~~

Are the injectors blocks? Or maybe one of the O-rings around the injectors perished, so it doesn't seat properly?

10. griffo20022

I don't think there blocked, surely 4 injectors wouldn't block up at the same time? If it were one of the four injectors would it start but just run on 3 like it were running with a spark plug down? The problem originally was that the fuel wasn't even getting as far as that. As for the injectors being seated correctly, we haven't disturbed them at all ever since my dads had the car, so they should be coolies.

Since cleaning out the fuel distributor it's trying ALOT harder to start now, just not quite grasping it. We were thinking maybe one the fuel vains feeding the one injection chamber/area inside the block is possibly blocked?

11. DoriDave

DoriDave ~~Sore-Arse~~

Only thing I can suggest is trying to strip the fuel distributor down as far as you can and soaking it in parrifin over night to hopefully loosen any crap hidden away. Have the mixture adjusters been fiddled with at all, these can sometimes make it run dog rough if they've been played with.

12. griffo20022

Nah, fortunately we identified the mixture adjusters before we turned any screws lol, so they should be the same as we first left them! Might do that actually with the paraffin job, will probs give that a go 2moz, ta' bud :)