Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2021, 09:10 PM   #1

Problem with Pentax LX Viewfinder

Hi, I just purchased an LX from ebay. Overall it seems to be in working order. However I am concerned there is a problem with the FA-1 viewfinder that I have. The aperture window is so high above the screen that I need to tilt the camera up towards the floor to see it (not all the way towards the floor but a significant amount). I cannot see the aperture at all when just looking at the screen. Is this normal? Also, when I do look at it and I am in a bright area, I can barely see it as it is almost transparent. Not sure if this is how it is supposed to be either. Any thoughts about this would be appreciated as I am wondering if I should return it or possible buy a different viewfinder... Thanks. Jonathan

12-07-2021, 10:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have an LX, but I do have an MX. I don't expect it would be much different, but I'm not sure. Surely the design is similar (though it's a removable affair with your LX).

This is a view through my MX viewfinder. The aperture window is visible as you can see. It is certainly only visible in a limited range, but I can see it without tilting my camera certainly. It will move out of view as I move my eye position left/right/up/down against the viewfinder window. There is definitely a sweet spot, and a little either side means it's not quite visible.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 12 mini  Photo 
12-07-2021, 10:59 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jmbern1 Quote
Hi, I just purchased an LX from ebay. Overall it seems to be in working order. However I am concerned there is a problem with the FA-1 viewfinder that I have. The aperture window is so high above the screen that I need to tilt the camera up towards the floor to see it (not all the way towards the floor but a significant amount). I cannot see the aperture at all when just looking at the screen. Is this normal? Also, when I do look at it and I am in a bright area, I can barely see it as it is almost transparent. Not sure if this is how it is supposed to be either. Any thoughts about this would be appreciated as I am wondering if I should return it or possible buy a different viewfinder... Thanks. Jonathan
Do you wear glasses? Even if you don’t the eye relief difference from modern gear will surprise you.

The eye relief of the FA1 finder is specified at 15.8mm which is very short compared to something like the k-3 (original) at 21.7mm. The k-1 is in this ballpark as well at just over 20mm. When I can’t get my eye close enough I can’t see the edges of the viewfinder on any camera. The consequence of short eye relief is not being able to see the entire viewfinder image without moving the finder up and down etc.
12-08-2021, 12:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It sound like it is down to eye relief.

That said, I have an LX and I can't say that I needed the aperture in the display all that much.

If you wear glasses this is said to work better:

Pentax FC-1 Action Eyepiece reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Pentax FB-1 System Finder reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

12-08-2021, 01:57 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jmbern1 Quote
I remember that when using the LX I could never see the aperture in the viewfinder unless I changed the way I looked through it. I am wearing glasses and I always have to move my eye to see all the information in the viewfinder. Most of the time I do not bother about all the extra information unless the flash sign blinks.
12-08-2021, 02:24 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
If you wear glasses this is said to work better:
I can confirm that... it does reduce subject size in the viewfinder, but it's much faster to frame image.

12-08-2021, 02:38 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. You are correct! I do wear glasses. However even when I look through the viewfinder without my glasses it is stull difficult to see the aperture and I still need to change the angle of the camera or my eye to see it. There is just a lot of space between the top of the focus screen and the aperture window, unlike the photo of the MX camera where the aperture window is essentially sitting right on top. So I am just wondering if something is wrong.....

12-08-2021, 07:36 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I don't find a problem, but I don't wear glasses. In mine the aperture window is above the picture area with a gap of about twice its own width, which is more than in the MX picture above and also more than in the supposed viewfinder view in the PF LX Review Pentax LX - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications (which comes from a publicity brochure). Nevertheless I always check the aperture and I suppose the muscle memory I have acquired in holding the camera always ensures it is in my view.
12-08-2021, 09:17 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

not sure if this helps out but here is information [ 2 pages ] on the interchangeable eyepieces for the LX

Pentax LX - Interchangeable Viewfinders

QuoteQuote:
Ideal for a standard LX viewfinder, the FA-1 combines bright, eye-level pentaprism viewing with built-in diopter correction, a full data viewfinder display and a m-coupled "X"sync hotshoe. Adjustable diopter covers the ó1.5 to 0 range.
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/pentaxlx/viewfinders/viewfinders.htm

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-08-2021 at 09:22 AM.
12-08-2021, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #10

Photos: Albums
I don't have an LX but I believe all the viewfinder options for the camera slide from back to front of the camera through groves on each side.
Maybe yours hasn't got all the way to the front, just enough to make difficult to see the aperture number?

Try releasing the prism with the little lever provided for it. Slide a little to the back, and then all the way to the front, making sure it goes all the way in. See if this helps.

Last edited by CarlosU; 12-08-2021 at 11:51 AM.
12-08-2021, 02:25 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if the OP doesn't have a copy of the manual

Pentax LX camera manual, user manual

at page 12

QuoteQuote:
ATTACHING THE VIEWFINDER

Pentax LX camera manual Your Pentax LX is a complete System 35mm SLR which offers you an exceptionally wide variety of interchangeable viewfinders (see page 46). Once you have selected the viewfinder best suited your picture-taking needs, attach it to the camera body as follows:

Remove the protective body cap by moving the finder release lever counter-clockwise and sliding the cap away from the camera body as shown. Carefully remove the protective cap from the finder and align the finder with the body, making sure both units are seated properly. Slide the kinder toward the front of the camera body until it locks firmly in place. When attaching the finder, it's a good idea to jiggle it to make sure it is locked securely in place.

To remove the finder on the camera for attaching a new finder, move the finder release lever counter-clockwise and carefully remove the existing finder by sliding it away from the camera body slowly and smoothly. Do not move too quickly to avoid dropping the finder on your working surface and damaging it. Place the protective finder cap on the finder to protect it against dust and scratches.

IMPORTANT: Avoid touching the glass surfaces of the finder, eyepiece and camera body when attaching or removing the finder to protect against possible damage from fingerprints, dust, grit and grease. When absolutely necessary, use a blower or camel's hair brush to remove loose dust or grit and ensure the brightest, cleanest image.
12-08-2021, 04:12 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Better try and use the diopter of the prism instead of the glasses. Personally I never wear my prescription glasses with the LX, and the brightness of the viewfinder helps a lot. instead of tilting the camera you should try panning up and down to get to the aperture window.
12-08-2021, 05:25 PM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
Better try and use the diopter of the prism instead of the glasses. . . .
did someone mention the diopter of the viewfinder ?

QuoteQuote:
Adjusting The Diopter Correction

Pentax LX camera manual Pentax FA-1 and FA-2 Interchangeable Viewfinders feature built-in diopter correction for the focusing convenience of eyeglass wearers. To adjust the degree of correction, first move the finder release lever counter-clockwise and gently slide the finder away from the body until the diopter adjustment screw is visible. With the finder in this position, carefully bring the camera up to your eye and look at split-image center spot in the center of the viewfinder. Using the tool packed with the finder, turn the adjustment screw until the border lines of the center spot come in sharp and crisp. Remove the tool and slide the finder toward the front of the camera body to once again lock it securely in place

Pentax LX camera manual, user manual
12-09-2021, 06:56 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
Better try and use the diopter of the prism instead of the glasses. Personally I never wear my prescription glasses with the LX, and the brightness of the viewfinder helps a lot. instead of tilting the camera you should try panning up and down to get to the aperture window.
I suspect many don’t realize that an astigmatism can render the diopter fairly useless. My own prescription is so bad that it’s more than double the amount of the diopter correction and then my astigmatism has to be considered on top of that. The long eye relief of modern viewfinders has been great for me.
12-10-2021, 03:50 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I suspect many don’t realize that an astigmatism can render the diopter fairly useless. My own prescription is so bad that it’s more than double the amount of the diopter correction and then my astigmatism has to be considered on top of that. The long eye relief of modern viewfinders has been great for me.
I feel you, I have astigmatism and hypertrophy but I guess my numbers are lower than yours. Shooting with the glasses on is always a pain, I always miss part of the frame. you really should try the FB+FC combo for the LX, I've only read praises.